Second Week (6/13-6/17)

  • After two days of beginning my internship and starting my first full week as the WV Covenant House intern, I began to quickly recognize the immense worth, knowledge, and power that the Covenant House has. My reservations, in hindsight, feels rather ironic and silly because of the knowledge that I have now. I sacrificed so much energy and dedication at Juniata to become a dual-POE in Biochemistry and Public Health Advocacy. My Public Health Advocacy POE is extremely unique in the fact that it calls on values of community engagement and intersectionality- two things that are not commonly found in modern service work. At WV Covenant House, their driving principals revolve around community engagement, intersectionality, client-based service work, and respect and dignity of those experiencing marginalization related to poverty or homelessness. While it feels silly to say from the outside looking in, WV Covenant House truly embodies the concepts of community engagement, intersectionality, and service-based work. When their Kanawha county community has a need, they respond immediately with a kind of inclusive ferocity rather than being stuck on a one-track service such as having only a food pantry (when it, arguably, is not the most required service that a community needs). They have programs related to long-term housing, rapid housing, queer-inclusive program, utility accommodations, a food pantry, and health equity related to HIV positive individuals. 

  • Most importantly from this week of work, I got to experience and accomplish a diverse and insightful amount of tasks. The area in which I began my service was in the food pantry with a coworker named Jodie. Jodie’s goal had been, for a while, to move the food pantry into another location within the building to not only make it more secure, but to make stocking the pantry shelves easier. The first day on the job, all of the volunteers had called off- so I was thrown into that food pantry experience and was one of the moving pieces to ensure the successful relocation of the pantry. The pictures below demonstrate the relocation of our new food pantry! Quite frankly, I would argue that the Covenant House has one of the best food pantries within the Charleston area. This is because not only is our food pantry a choice pantry, but for the amount of food that we provide to families. People are brought through the pantry and allowed to pick their items on the basis of family size. They are not forced to take food, but are limited on quantity (not quality or the type of food). The food pantry readily hands out snack cakes, soda, and other extras to families. The amount of food is also impressive with the ability to provide reliable amounts of food for large families. The Covenant House also makes it possible for families to return every two weeks for supplemental support.

  • In my second week, I also engaged in working with our housing programs. Renee, my coworker who leads our short-term and long-term housing programs, was able to take me on some home inspections. Since we give out federal dollars, our grant requirements stipulate that homes must meet a certain caliber to help with rent, utilities, and security deposits. There must be adequate ventilation, running war, working sewer, and adequate shelter from the elements. The first home inspection I ever engaged with was absolutely not within Renee's normal experience- and definitely not my own. This gave me not only my first client contact, but my first case study. If you're interested in reading about a home worthy of being condemned, the function of CPS with Covenant House, and how we support clients with our housing program- read about Case Study #1!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Five (7/5/22-7/8/22)

Week Six (7/11)-(7/15)

Week Seven (7/18/22-7/22/22)